High quality exhausts at lowest possible prices
Uncle Tom'sprovides a full exhaust service from repairs to complete system
Exhaust experts Harlow
We supply and fit exhaust systems for all makes and models of cars, Vans & 4X4.
Regular exhaust checks could help the environment as most vehicles are fitted with a catalytic converter which converts harmful pollutants into less harmful emissions before they ever leave the vehicle's exhaust system.
Our staff are trained and experienced in the fitting of exhaust systems so if you require an exhaust system, please call and speak to our experts.
Get a quote by calling 01279 439192
Exhaust Systems in Harlow, Essex
Car exhaust systems are an important part of the car in as much as it helps channel emissions to the rear of the vehicle, helps reduce engine noise and maintains back pressure to help the engine run efficiently. Since 1992, legislation has required cars to have catalytic converters fitted. The job of catalytic converters is, as the name says, to convert the harmful emissions of the engine into environmentally friendly emissions.
Car exhaust systems usually comprise of a network of tubes used to guide reaction waste gases away from the combustion inside a car's engine. The entire car exhaust system conveys burnt gases away from the engine's interior and includes at least one exhaust pipe. Depending on car manufacturer's specifications of the car exhaust system, the exhaust gas may flow through one or more of the following:
- Cylinder head and exhaust manifold.
- A turbocharger to increase engine power.
- A catalytic converter to reduce air pollution.
- A silencer to reduce noise.
Since 1992, legislation has required cars to have catalytic converters fitted. The job of catalytic converters is, as the name says, to convert the harmful emissions of the engine into environmentally friendly emissions. Catalytic converters are devices used to the convert toxic exhaust emission gases from an engine into non-toxic substances. Inside catalytic converters, a catalyst stimulates chemical reactions in which the noxious byproducts of combustion have their toxicity drastically reduced.
Common Components of Car Exhaust Systems
Most modern automobiles are dependent on car exhaust systems containing the following elements:
- Manifold - An assembly designed to collect the exhaust gas from two or more cylinders into one pipe.
- Header Back - Element of car exhaust systems from the outlet of the header to the final vent to open air. Primarily used in performance cars without turbochargers.
- Turbo Back - Element of car exhaust systems from the outlet of a turbocharger to the final vent to open air.
- Cat Back - Element of car exhaust systems from the outlet of the catalytic converter to the final vent to open air. This generally includes the pipe from the converter to the muffler, the muffler, and the final length of pipe to open air.
- Tailpipe and Exhaust - The final length of exhaust pipe where the gases are vented to open air, is usually the only visible element of car exhaust systems, often with just a straight or angled cut. Often, it is composed of larger pipe than the rest of the car exhaust system, which produces the final reduction in pressure.
Common Components of Catalytic Converters:
- The Catalyst Core, or Substrate.
- The Washcoat.
- The Catalyst - Often Platinum, Palladium or Rhodium.
Common Faults in Car Exhaust Systems:
- Poor Fuel Economy - May be caused by obstructions in the car exhaust system.
- Blue Smoke - The engine is burning oil.
- White Smoke - The engine is burning coolant or transmission fluid.
- Black Smoke - The air/fuel mixture is too rich, possibly due to a stuck automatic choke, a leaking fuel injector, or too much fuel pressure.